China Program Associate
Created: 3 year(s) ago
China Program Associate
The China Program provides strategic guidance, campaign and capacity-building supports to grassroots environmental organizations across China to implement local campaigns. We are working with passionate and dedicated young leaders of grassroots organizations across China to build their support base and develop effective campaigns on the ground. Every year, we host a Water Pollution Network meeting, bringing together our Chinese partners for the purpose of networking, training and developing campaign strategies.
The China Program Associate is based in San Francisco and travels to China frequently. He/She will utilize Pacific Environment’s international leverage, expertise, and resources to provide active organizational and campaign support to our Chinese partners remotely and on the ground through frequent online communication and site visits. The China Program Associate will also provide research, writing, translation and logistical support for the China Program. The ideal candidate will start immediately or by July 1, 2010.
The China Program Associate will be responsible for:
* Capacity Building of Grantees
o Managing the China Program subgranting process, including reviewing proposals, preparing and issuing grant agreements and payments;
o Monitoring grantee reporting, conducting analysis of project progress and results, and preparing quarterly reports on subgrant activities for staff and board;
o Supporting our Beijing office and partners in China with information, research, and campaign support.
o Researching, monitoring and analyzing environmental issues in China;
o Helping develop and implement environmental campaigns
o Utilizing the Water Pollution Network Meeting to facilitate strategic discussions, networking and provide training workshops to/among our partners by developing an effective agenda, inviting appropriate experts and ensuring overall active participations at the meeting.
o Identifying campaign opportunities, building coalitions with ally organizations in China and internationally
o Developing and implementing joint-campaigns with our partners and allies.
* Outreach and Communication
o Reaching out to Bay Area communities and allies to publicize Pacific Environment and our Chinese partners’ work by speaking at public events, blogging and utilizing social media tools;
o Creating China Program outreach materials, including compiling partner profiles, creating photo galleries of site visits, developing maps and PowerPoint Presentations to visually represent Pacific Environment’s work in China;
* Assisting with the production and dissemination of reports, and campaign outreach materials, including policy papers, press releases, community handbooks, fact sheets, web pages, and case studies;
* Supporting the China Program’s communication work by answering information requests and updating the Pacific Environment website;
* Administrative and Logistic Support to the Program
* Providing logistical support for events such as strategy sessions, fact-finding missions, site visits, regional workshops and exchanges;
* Interpreting and translating between English and Chinese when needed; and
* Assisting the China Program Director with other tasks as needed.
Skills and Experience Needed:
* MANDATORY Fluent speaking, reading and writing skills in Mandarin Chinese and English;
* Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills, excellent attention to detail;
* Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office; knowledge in Salesforce and other multimedia software such as Adobe Photoshop and Dreamweaver are a plus;
* Both self-motivated and an energetic team player, able to work under pressure;
* Excellent interpersonal skills and ease in working cooperatively with people of different cultures;
* Experience participating in and organizing environmental and social change campaigns;
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
* Ability to travel nationally and/or internationally 8 -12 weeks per year;
* Authorized to work in the United States;
* Personal commitment to environmental and social justice and a sense of humor are essential.
This position is ideally suited for someone with a BA or BS and who has at least 2-3 years of experience working with a not-for-profit organization or foundation. The position is full time and provides a competitive salary of between $38,000-$45,000 (based on experience) plus an excellent benefits package.
Pacific Environment is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.
How to Apply:
After visiting our website, please email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references. The position will be open until filled; all applications received by June 7, 2010 will be reviewed. Please send materials to:
Xiu Min Li, China Program Director